In bowel cancers, which are in the second place in the list of deadly cancers, colonoscopy is important for early detection of polyps. Virtual colonoscopy is the solution for the patients who are afraid of the preparation and shooting of classical colonoscopy. Virtual colonoscopy, which is performed in 5 minutes with tomography and which is much lighter than the preliminary preparation, is successfully applied by the specialists of Liv Hospital Radiology Clinic.
What is Virtual Colonoscopy?It is a computed tomography examination. It serves to study the column. It is used to find polypoid lesions in the colon, colon tumor and colon cancer.
How it is Made?The patient comes on an empty stomach and is placed on the tomography device. With the help of tomography, large intestine is inflated with controls. In normal colonoscopy, a tube is used for a cecum. In virtual colonoscopy, a small urinary catheter is placed in the rectum and the small intestine is inflated. The patient is done on his back and face. A scan takes 30 seconds. The patient's entrance is 5 minutes in total. The patient is not awake. No drugs. It's not a painful process. After shooting, you can navigate in the large intestines in 3D with the help of computer. Thus, polyps and lesions can be seen here.
What Is the Difference Between Virtual Colonoscopy and Normal Colonoscopy?The patient is given reduced intestinal cleansing before the procedure. Patients are given a solid diet in normal colonoscopy. In virtual colonoscopy, a much lighter diet and half of the diarrhea medications are given. The patient goes to the toilet several times. A light diet is made from solid foods the day before. Because even if there's feces in the colon, it's okay. You can destroy the remaining stool machine with a button.
Advantages of Virtual Colonoscopy
- Minimally invasive examination according to colonoscopy.
- No need for sedation. It is very useful for patients who cannot take anesthesia.
- Patient comfort is high. Because the preparation phase is not a much easier, cheesy process.
- All organs in the abdomen are visible. It is a complete check-up.
- Curved columns are better evaluated.
- It also shows tumors in the abdomen that are splashed into the abdomen if there are tumors in the colon.
- Indicates whether there are other tumors in occlusive tumors.
How Sensitive is this Method?Studies have been conducted on tens of thousands of patients in both America and Europe. The sensitivity of detecting polyps above 10 mm in both was 90%.
In Which Cases is it Used?
- Colorectal cancer screening
- Incomplete colonoscopy (spasm, colonic tortuosity, dolikocolon, diverticulosis, lack of cooperation)
- To investigate whether there are other tumors in the colon colon cancer.
- Cases where conventional colonoscopy cannot be performed (can be elderly patients, uses blood coagulants, cannot receive anesthesia)
- Patients who refuse conventional colonoscopy
- Fecal occult blood test positive patients