Oluşturma Tarihi: 28.08.2023 12:20 | Son Güncelleme: 18.09.2023 11:03
Few medical innovations have had such a profound and life-altering impact as kidney transplantation. The world of kidney transplantation is a fascinating combination of science, technology, and compassion, from the challenges of matching donors and recipients to the subtleties of surgical accuracy. This blog gives an overview of the kidney transplant procedure and its other aspects.
Kidney Transplant Surgery: An Overview
In essence, kidney transplant surgery entails swapping out a badly damaged or non-functioning kidney for a healthy kidney from a living or deceased donor. This complex procedure calls for detailed planning, thorough preoperative testing, and surgical delicacy to ensure the greatest outcome for both the recipient and the donated organ. The maximum life after kidney transplant for a well-matched kidney transplant from a living donor can extend beyond 20 years, fostering improved quality of life and longevity for recipients.
How Long Does A Kidney Transplant Last?
A kidney transplant's life expectancy varies. While deceased donors typically survive 10-15 years, well-matched kidneys from living donors can last 15-20 years or more. The longevity of the transplant is affected by things including the recipient's health, medication compliance, and organ compatibility. The quality of life for transplant recipients is improving due to ongoing medical advancements that lengthen transplant lifespans.
Kidney Transplant Requirements
A thorough assessment is required before a person can be considered a candidate for a kidney transplant to guarantee the good outcome for both the recipient and the donated organ.
Candidates for end-stage renal disease (ESRD) usually have kidneys working at less than 15% of their average capacity, necessitating routine dialysis or kidney replacement. Patients shouldn't have any health issues that could make surgery or recovery after a transplant more difficult.
Emotional And Mental Preparedness
Candidates are subjected to psychological evaluations to ensure they can handle the emotional and psychological difficulties that can come with transplantation. A solid support network that includes any relatives, close friends, or carers can offer support after the transplant.
Age And General Well-Being
Although there is no set upper age limit, overall health rather than age alone determines a candidate's eligibility. Except for kidney-related disorders, candidates should be in good general health. It is possible to assess pre-existing conditions to see how they affect transplantation.
Adherence To Medical Advice
Immunosuppressant medicine must be taken continuously throughout life to prevent organ rejection. Candidates must exhibit knowledge of and dedication to following drug regimens.
Assessing The Donor's List For Compatibility
To achieve the greatest possible match, compatibility is determined through blood type, tissue matching, and crossmatching if a living donor is available. A donor is rejected if the compatibility is low. When allocating organs from deceased donors, parameters like blood type, tissue compatibility, and waiting time are considered.
Contact our medical experts in Istanbul to learn about kidney transplant cost and other requirements while considering medical treatment facilities in Turkey.
Kidney Transplantation: The Procedure
This complex process, executed with care and accuracy, comprises several crucial elements:
- Preoperative Evaluation: Living donors and recipients undergo extensive medical evaluations to determine their overall health and surgical eligibility.
- Surgical Preparation: Patients go through the required preoperative procedures after being admitted to the hospital. If applicable, living donors are also thoroughly assessed to determine their fitness for donation.
- Anaesthesia and Incision: Patients receive anesthesia before a brief incision is made in the lower abdomen. The diseased kidney may occasionally be removed. Before making a minor incision, anesthesia is also given to living donors.
- Implantation: The recipient's pelvis is precisely positioned to receive the healthy donor kidney. The ureter is coupled to the recipient's bladder, and blood vessels from the donor's kidney are linked to the recipient's blood vessels.
- Blood Flow Restoration: The transplanted kidney can start filtering waste and extra fluid from the recipient's bloodstream thanks to the restored blood flow.
- Surgical Closure: To ensure adequate wound healing for recipients and living donors, incisions are methodically closed using sutures or staples.
- Postoperative Care: Patients are first observed in the intensive care unit before being sent to a standard hospital room. To avoid organ rejection, immunosuppressive drugs are started. Living donors spend less time in the hospital and are closely watched as they recover.
- Recuperation and Follow-Up: Follow-up visits regularly check kidney function, modify medication dosages, and address any issues. To protect their health following surgery, living donors are also observed.
The kidney transplant success rate is considerably high in Turkey. Contact our medical experts to learn more!
Kidney Transplant Recovery
Although challenging, this transformational process happens in stages:
Hospital Stay And Early Post-Transplant Phase
After surgery, recipients are closely watched in the intensive care unit to make sure their vital signs are stable and to address any urgent issues. During this stage, managing pain and taking care of the wounds and kidney transplant scar is crucial.
Medication And Immunosuppressive Regimen
It is crucial to follow the immunosuppressive medication regimen that has been recommended. Although there may be adverse effects, these medications stop the body from rejecting the transplanted kidney. The management of these side effects and optimum dosages are ensured by routine monitoring.
Ongoing Care And Follow-Up Monitoring
The transplant team's regular check-ups have become commonplace. Imaging studies and blood tests track drug levels, renal function, and general wellness. For prompt intervention, early recognition of any problems is essential.
Dietary changes that support kidney function become a crucial part of healing. Under medical supervision, physical exercise is progressively resumed, promoting general health.
Psychological And Emotional Well-Being
Counseling services help clients negotiate the emotional complexities of rehabilitation. Fostering mental well-being depends on having a solid support system that includes family, friends, and support groups.
A successful kidney transplant can improve quality of life, decrease the need for dialysis, and more energy. The recipient's overall health and the continued function of the kidney are continually monitored through routine follow-ups.
Wish to get access to the high-quality medical facilities for kidney transplantation in Turkey? Contact Live Hospital experts today!
Liv Hospital For Kidney Transplantation
Liv Hospital is the gold standard for kidney transplantation for persons in Turkey. Liv Hospital, which operates seven cutting-edge hospitals around Turkey, is a testament to its dedication to high standards in world-class healthcare. Its name, an acronym for "Leading International Vision," highlights the institution's commitment to influencing the course of healthcare and providing top-notch treatment to kidney transplant candidates. Get in touch with our medical experts in Istanbul to learn about the kidney transplantation treatment prices in Turkey 2023!