What is Geriatrics Clinic?In Liv Hospital Vadistanbul Geriatrics Clinic, treatment arrangements, vaccination follow-ups and routine screenings of individuals aged 65 and over are performed by specialist physicians.
What Does Geriatrics Look At?Geriatric age is defined as 65 years or older. On the other hand, it is not correct to define aging only according to chronological age, and the biological, psychological and social status of the individual is important for aging. Geriatric medicine is a sub-branch of Internal Medicine, which deals with the evaluation of aging-related problems, chronic internal diseases, emotional problems and cognitive problems of individuals, and improving the general health status.
What are Geriatric Syndromes?Arranging treatment in the elderly individual requires expertise. The type, manifestation, course and symptoms of diseases in elderly individuals often differ from those of young people. Some age-specific diseases, namely “geriatric syndromes” are frequently seen. These:
- Malnutrition, weight loss, loss of appetite (malnutrition)
- Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- Decrease in muscle strength and mass, slowing down in walking (sarcopenia)
- Balance disorders, falls, fractures
- Polypharmacy (use of too many or inappropriate drugs)
- urinary incontinence
- sleep problems
- vision and hearing problems
What are Geriatric Diseases?
- cardiovascular diseases
- Cerebrovascular diseases
- Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia
- Infections (such as urinary tract infection, pneumonia)
- Tooth and chewing problems
How is Geriatric Treatment Performed?
- Many diseases bring along the use of many drugs. Drug effects and side effects differ in elderly individuals. Many complaints are caused by unnoticed drug side effects. That is why a detailed review of drugs is the main component of the examination.
- Individuals aged 65 and over also have vaccinations that need to be done at regular intervals, just like babies. Depending on the vitality and general health status of the elderly individual, some cancer screenings should be done at certain intervals.
- The geriatric age group requires special attention in order to evaluate, detect and treat the complex and interacting problems of the elderly. In the geriatric examination, the individual is subjected to a "comprehensive geriatric evaluation", which includes social evaluation as well as all these problems. It is important to repeat the comprehensive geriatric evaluation at regular intervals for early detection and follow-up of problems.